
Yesterday I completed the diagnostic Language Test . Now I choose 1 area which I found difficult, make mistakes in and find a grammar book to help myself. I want to share with you here if you also make the mistake as me. That which I want to mention about GERUNDS AND INFINITIVES. Here are some verbs are followed by-ing and some are followed by to
- Verbs usually followed by - ing :
admit avoid consider deny enjoy fancy finish imagine keep mind postpone risk stop suggest
- Verbs usually followed by - to :
affort agree arrange decide deservefail forget hope learn manage offer plan promise refuse threate
- Some verbs can be following by -ing or -to....with a differnce of meaning:
- remember I remember doing something = I did it and now I remember this.
You remember doing something after you have done it
ex: -I know I locked the door. I clearly remember looking it(= I locked it, and now I remember this)
- He could remember driving along the road just before the accident, but he couldn't remember the accident itself.
I remembered to do something= I remember that I had to do it, so I did it.
You remember to do something before you do it
ex: - I remember to lock the door, but I forgot to shut the windows.(= I remembered that I had to lock it, and so I locked it)
- Please remember to post the letter(= don't forget to post it)
- regret I regret doing something = I did it and now I'm sorry about it
ex: I now regret saying what I said. I shouldn't have said it.
I regret to say/to tell you/ to inform you = I'm sorry that I have to say
ex: We regret to inform you that we can not offer you the job
The following verbs can be followed by -ing or to :
begin start continue intend bother
ex: you can say:It has started raining or It has started to rain
I have just shared with you some thing I often make mistakes on grammar, I think it is very helpful for you if you also got the mistakes like me :)I have an English advanced in use of Cambridge , in my opinion it very good for you if you want to improve you grammer :)
No comments:
Post a Comment